Today's recipe is Potato(Aloo) Fry. This is a very tasty and quick to make recipe. Serve it with chapati,paratha or just enjoy it with rice and dal,its simply amazing. I just love it!!!!
Potatoes.......who doesn't like them???? They are one of the widely used vegetable all over the world. They can be boiled, baked, fried, and micro waved, steamed, roasted, mashed, and placed in salads, with or without the peel.
Friends,check out this cool "Potato Song" video I found in Youtube :
The potato is thought to be just a high source of calories and that it is fattening .This is not true. You will surprised to know that it is almost fat-free. In fact the addition of high calorie toppings like butter,sour cream,mayonnaise dressing,etc make the potato recipe fattening. It has many nutritional advantages.
Here are some facts we should know about potatoes:
- Potatoes contain a number of important vitamins and minerals. A medium potato (150g/5.3 oz) with the skin provides 27 mg vitamin C (45% of the Daily Value (DV)), 620 mg of potassium (18% of DV), 0.2 mg vitamin B6(10% of DV) and trace amounts of thiamin,riboflavin,folate, niacin,magnesium,phosphorus,iron and zinc.
- Moreover, the fiber content of a potato with skin (2 grams) equals that of many whole grain breads,pastas and cereals.
- Potatoes also contain an assortment of phytochemicals,such as carotenoids and polyphenols.
- The notion that “all of the potato’s nutrients” are found in the skin is an urban legend. While the skin does contain approximately half of the total dietary fiber, more than 50% of the nutrients are found within the potato itself. The cooking method used can significantly impact the nutrient availability of the potato.
- (Source: Wikipedia)
- Potato- 2 big
- Olive oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
Asafoetida (hing)-A pinch
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Lime juice -1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into long slices.
*Add about 3 tsp of salt to the potato slices,mix well and keep aside for about 30-45 mins.
- Then squeeze the slices to remove all the water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves,cumin and mustard seeds.Once they crackle,add the potato slices and mix well.
- Cook till the potato slices become crispy and light brownish.
- Then add turmeric and red chilli powder and lime juice.Mix and cook for about 2 mins,then switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with Roti,paratha or rice and dal.
- * Addition of salt helps in removal of water from the potatoes and make the recipe crispy.Use this method to make potato chips.
I am sending this recipe to the 'Monthly Mingle-Sensational Sides' event hosted by Ruth of Ruth's kitchen Experiments and started by Meeta of What's for lunch, Honey?