Looking forward for your votes.....
Looking forward for your votes.....
..........For me salads are a healthy addition to our diet. Normally a Green salad is low in calories, low in fats and nutritionally very rich but the addition of wrong ingredients can make it unhealthy. Salads are often neglected in our diets,they should be an integral part of our meals,. A salad can even make a healthy low calorie meal by itself with the combination of proper ingredients.
These are some ways you can make your salads nutritionally rich:
Instead of using canned and frozen vegetables,use fresh fruits and vegetables (including green leafy vegetables).
Instead of the adding too much salad dressings which are high in calories and fat , ust squeeze a fresh lime juice and put in some herbs like basil which improve the flavour of the salad.
Avoid adding croutons and other extra toppings, instead add some nuts or flax seeds which make a better nutritional choice.
Cheese are a rich source of Calcium and Protein,so just take care on how much cheese you are using. Adding too much of cheese adds many extra calories.
You can make a variety of salads, try adding a different healthy ingredients every time you make a salad.
Here's a salad recipe for you.
- Grated carrot- 2 cups
- Olive oil- 1 tsp
- Green chillies- 2, cut into small pieces
- Cilantro/Coriander, finely chopped- 1 tbsp
- Curry leaves- 3-4
- Lime juice- 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1-2 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.Once they splutter add curry leaves and green chillies.
- Then add grated carrot,turmeric powder and salt (add very little).Cook for about a minute not much.
- Put off the flame and add lime juice. Mix again.
- Garnish it with cilantro and serve.
- See, its so easy.Salad is ready.
** Carrots are an excellent source of antioxidant compounds, and the richest vegetable source of the pro-vitamin A carotenes. Carrots' antioxidant compounds help protect against cardiovascular disease and cancer and also promote good vision, especially night vision.
JFI - Carrots hosted by The Cooker.
My friends Arundhati of Gourmet Affair and Ramya of Memory archieved passed me this Hard Working Food Blogger award- Thanks a ton,I will definitely try to be more hardworking and be regular :)
My another good friend Ivy of Kopiaste passed me the Yum-Yum Blog award. I really appreciate it.
I also got the lovely Butterfly Award from Sudeshna of Bengalicuisine and Kitchen Flavours .
Here are some rules for the Butterfly award.
- Add the logo in your blog.
- Add a link to the person who gave you the award.
- Nominate 10 other blogs of your choice.
- Don’t forget to add links to those blogs in yours.
- Also leave a message for your nominees in their blogs, informing them about the award.
Have a wonderful Diwali.....Enjoy!!
Hi friends, sorry I couldn't post any recipes since last week.There was some problem with my laptop. I am so happy and excited,this is my 50th post. This is just a beginning for me , hope to get your love and support in the future also. I want to share many more recipes and food tips with you all.
- Bread (of your choice) - 4 slices
- Onion- 1 medium ,finely chopped
- Capsicum- 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato (optional) - 1 medium, finely chopped
- Tomato Ketchup
- Butter ( low-fat)/Ghee (for toasting bread)
- Cilantro(Coriander) - 1 bunch (use the stems also)
- Mint leaves - 8-10 no.
- Ginger - 1 small piece
- Green chillies - 2, small
- Lime juice- 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Fine sev
- Clean the coriander.Peel ginger and remove stems from green chillies .Wash all these ingredients thoroughly.
- Grind these along with the remaining ingredients into a smooth paste in a food processor.
- Store in a bowl.
- Apply a tbsp. of chutney,then a tbsp. of ketchup on a slice of bread. (The amount of chutney and ketchup can vary as per your taste.)
- Heat a girdle or tawa and toast the bread slice,chutney side up with little butter till the downside becomes brownish and little crispy.
- Top the toasted bread slice with little chopped onion,capsicum and tomato.
- Garnish it with sev and serve hot.
Note: Start making the pizza when you are about to serve or else it will become soft and soggy.
I am sending this recipe to the WYF: Party Food event hosted by easycrafts of Simple Indian food blog.
Semolina sheera is a favorite in our Indian households,mostly prepared during festivals and puja. But for those who love it,they don't need to wait for either of these to eat it...... :) Such is the case in my house,my hubby likes this sheera very much. So Rava sheera is made more often compared to any other sweet.
It is basically made from semolina and milk. Its a bit heavy because of the added ghee,but sometimes you should just forget about your weight and enjoy such delicacies...hehehe!!! So what are we waiting for,lets get to work.
- Semolina (Sooji/Rava) - 2 cups
Ghee - 3 tbsp
Sugar - 2 cups
Milk - 2 cups
- Water- 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Cashewnuts -1 tbsp
- Take Ghee in a non stick pan and add Semolina to it. Roast until semolina turns golden brown. (Take care not to burn semolina).
- Continue for 2-3 minutes on a low flame.
- Remove the roasted semolina in a plate.
In the same pan roast the cashewnuts and keep them aside.
Now take milk and sugar in a pan and bring to a boil.Add cardamom powder and keep it on a low flame.
Slowly add semolina to the above milk mixture, stir the mixture well with a spatula and avoid any lump formation.
Add the cashews to this mixture and cook it till the ghee separates from the semolina.
Serve in a bowl.You can decorate it as per your liking.
This recipe is making its way to 4 events:
Yummy Festival Feasts - Diwali hosted by Pallavi of All Thingz Yummy .
JFI - Festival Treats hosted by Srivalli of Cooking 4 All Seasons.
Potatoes.......who doesn't like them???? They are one of the widely used vegetable all over the world. They can be boiled, baked, fried, and micro waved, steamed, roasted, mashed, and placed in salads, with or without the peel.
- Potatoes contain a number of important vitamins and minerals. A medium potato (150g/5.3 oz) with the skin provides 27 mg vitamin C (45% of the Daily Value (DV)), 620 mg of potassium (18% of DV), 0.2 mg vitamin B6(10% of DV) and trace amounts of thiamin,riboflavin,folate, niacin,magnesium,phosphorus,iron and zinc.
- Moreover, the fiber content of a potato with skin (2 grams) equals that of many whole grain breads,pastas and cereals.
- Potatoes also contain an assortment of phytochemicals,such as carotenoids and polyphenols.
- The notion that “all of the potato’s nutrients” are found in the skin is an urban legend. While the skin does contain approximately half of the total dietary fiber, more than 50% of the nutrients are found within the potato itself. The cooking method used can significantly impact the nutrient availability of the potato.
- (Source: Wikipedia)
- Potato- 2 big
- Olive oil - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds- 2 tsp
Cumin seeds- 2 tsp
Asafoetida (hing)-A pinch
Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
Red chilli powder- 2 tsp
Lime juice -1 tsp
Salt to taste
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into long slices.
*Add about 3 tsp of salt to the potato slices,mix well and keep aside for about 30-45 mins.
- Then squeeze the slices to remove all the water.
- Heat oil in a pan and add curry leaves,cumin and mustard seeds.Once they crackle,add the potato slices and mix well.
- Cook till the potato slices become crispy and light brownish.
- Then add turmeric and red chilli powder and lime juice.Mix and cook for about 2 mins,then switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with Roti,paratha or rice and dal.
- * Addition of salt helps in removal of water from the potatoes and make the recipe crispy.Use this method to make potato chips.
I pass this award to
Swapna of Crafts and Cooking has given me the 'Blogging Forever Friend' award. Thank you swapna for making my day...
This lovely award goes to
I pass both of these awards to
Aparna from Three mangoes passed me this wonderful postcard.I am so happy to receive this postcard.
Congrats to all the award winners.Have a great day!!!
This recipe is called Chinese Tortilla Samosa. Samosa......well, who doesn't like them? It serves as a good accompaniment with tea or you can just eat it like that. Unlike our regular samosas with the potato filling, these samosas have a Chinese style filling...... and it tastes awesome!! It makes a wonderful appetizer and so easy to make that it saves you a lot of time.
So friends, what do you think about the idea of using a tortilla for the samosa cover? I love it ,it saves so much of my time and tastes awesome. I have used them in regular samosas also. Just give it a try and you will surely love idea. So let's start...
- Large Tortilla's (regular) - 3 no.s
All purpose flour+ water paste (to seal)
- Cabbage, shredded - 3/4th cup
- Carrot, shredded - 1/2th cup
- Capsicum, finely chopped - 1/2th cup
- Green/regular onion, finely chopped - 1/2 cup
- Boiled noodles- 1 cup
- Cilantro - 2 tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
- Soy sauce - 2-3 tsp
- Tomato ketchup - 2 tsp
- Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Oil - For frying
- Put all the filling ingredients in a bowl, except noodles and salt and mix well.
Add the noodles and salt (as per taste) and again mix well.
Keep the filling aside.
- If you have taken the tortilla's from the refrigerator,they tend to be hard. Heat them for a minute in the microwave with a wet cloth or tissue over it. This makes them softer.
- Fold the tortilla into half and cut it from the center. Now you get 2 halves.
- Again fold these two parts into half and cut them.In total now you get 4 pieces from a single large tortilla.
- Now you are ready to make the samosas.
- Take care to remove the water from the filling before filling it in the tortilla.
- Take one tortilla piece and make a cone as shown in the picture below.
- Put the filling in it. (Don't put too much filling...see that it doesn't come out of the cone.)
- Apply the all purpose flour paste on the top flap and seal the samosa cover.
- Repeat it with all the tortilla covers.
- Deep fry them in oil and serve the crispy samosas hot with ketchup.
*I tried to bake them but they did not turn so well,may be there's some problem with my oven. I think the baked one's will also taste good and they will be a much healthier option.
- Beet - 1,medium (Dont remove the skin and don't discard the beet leaves,use them.They are also good for your health)
- Bottleguard- 1 cup (cut in big pieces)
- Spinach - 2 cups (Remember....spinach reduces to 1/3rd its quantity after cooking)
- Ginger- 1 small piece
- Garlic (optional)- 1 clove
- Black pepper powder- 1 tsp
- Salt - To taste
Click the vegetables to know more about them and their health benefits.
- Pressure cook the vegetables (Beet,bottlegourd and spinach) with very less water and let them cool.
- Remove the skin of beet and put the vegetables in the blender.
- Add salt, ginger and garlic pieces.Add water if required.
- Blend them thoroughly.
- Take in a bowl and add pepper powder while serving.
This recipe is my entry to the WYF - Salad/Starter/Soup event hosted by Easycrafts of Simple Indian Food blog.
I find this recipe very apt for the 'Eat Healthy Fight Diabetes' contest hosted by Sangeeth of Art of cooking indian food.So here it goes......
* I prefer to keep the soup oil free.You can season it with cumin and mustard seeds..
* Individuals with already existing and untreated kidney or gallbladder problems or those who have a tendency to develop kidney stones may want to avoid eating beet and spinach or take your doctors advice first.
There is leftover Khaman dhokla in your kitchen and you are wondering what to do with it,dont worry!!!! Just do what I usually do when I am in a similar situation.......turn those tasty khaman dhoklas into much tastier 'AMIRI KHAMAN'.
Whattttt...... you don't know this recipe,you have never tasted it ? Then make it fast.Once you make this dish I am sure you will love it and never forget it. Its a Gujarati delicacy.The actual process of making Amiri khaman is different. You have to soak the dals,its a bit tidious process. What I am going to show is an easier way of making it.
The taste is a little better when you follow the long process.But in this method you will save your time and you can make the best use of leftovers. So are you ready....?
- Leftover khaman Dhoklas - 6-8 no.s
- Juice of half lemon
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Green chillies - 2 (cut lengthwise)
- Curry leaves - 3-4
- Ginger(grated or paste) - 2 tsp
- Garlic (grated or finely chopped) - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Sugar to taste
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro,finely chopped - 1/2 tbsp
- Nylon sev - 1 tbsp
- Grated coconut (fresh) - 1 tbsp
*You can also add Pomegranate
- First crumble the dhoklas by hand and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves ,green chillies, ginger and garlic.
Then add the dhokla crumbles,sugar and salt.Mix well.
Cook for about 5 mins covered.Once again mix well and put off the flame.
Garnish with chopped cilantro, sev and grated coconut and serve.
Serves - 2
- A Walnut looks like a little brain, a left and right hemisphere, upper cerebrums and lower cerebellums. Even the wrinkles or folds on the nut are just like the neo-cortex. We now know walnuts help develop more than three (3) dozen neuron-transmitters for brain function.
- Bok Choy, Rhubarb and many more look just like bones. These foods specifically target bone strength. Bones are 23% sodium and these foods are 23% sodium. If you don't have enough sodium in your diet, the body pulls it from the bones, thus making them weak. These foods replenish the skeletal needs of the body.
- Avocadoes, Eggplant and Pears target the health and function of the womb and cervix of the female - they look just like these organs. Today's research shows that when a woman eats one avocado a week, it balances hormones, sheds unwanted birth weight, and prevents cervical cancers. And how profound is this? It takes exactly nine (9) months to grow an avocado from blossom to ripened fruit. There are over 14,000 photolytic chemical constituents of nutrition in each one of these foods (modern science has only studied and named about 141 of them).
Friends I am on Cloud 9,in last couple of weeks I got so many awards from my fellow bloggers.I am so overwhelmed and excited.My heartiest thanks to my blogger friends for their continuous support and appreciation. I am a bit late in posting about some awards as I am a bit busy,sorry for that friends.
I received the 'Giant Bear Hug' award from dear Madhavi ,Sireesha, Maheshwari and Sharmila.Thanks a lot friends for this big hug.....You all have lovely blogs and you all rock gals..
I pass this award to:
Maheshwari also passed me the 'Yum Yum blog award' and also has tagged me for a me.Thanks a lot dear.I have already posted that meme,you can check it out here.
I pass this lovely award to:
JZ @ Tasty treats
My sweet friends, Sireesha and Vani passed me the 'Award of Friendship'..I am proud to receive this friendship award from you both,its great knowing you and would love to know more about you both.This award is very special,thanks a lot!!
I pass the Friendship award to
Sunshinemom passed me 'You make my Day award'.You made my day by passing this award to me,thanks a lot.I am so sorry to post about this award sooooo late,I don't know how come I missed it in my earlier post....
This award goes to:
Mrs.Srilekha passed me the 'Blogging with a purpose' award.Thanks a lot for your appreciation.You have a great blog...keep up the great work!!!
I pass this award to:
Sripriya of Srikar's Kitchen passed me the 'Nice Matters award'.Thanks you so much for this award.You have a great blog,I will make sure to visit it regularly.
'Nice Matters Award is for those bloggers who are nice people; good blog friends and those who inspire good feelings and inspiration. Also for those who are a positive influence on our blogging world'.
I pass this award to :
JZ @ Tasty treats passed me the 'Yummy blog award'.I admire your blog and love to visit it,keep up the great work you are doing..
Yummy Blog award was first conceptualized by Roopa of Kitchen Treats. Yummy blog award is the award given to the blog with the most yummy recipes/photos.
As per the rule I pass this award to other 4 bloggers:
I have already mentioned my favorite desserts in my earlier post about this award,see it here.
Here are the rules for the award recipients
- The person who receives the award should display the "Yummy Blog !" logo on their blog and also the meaning of the award which is "Yummy blog award is the award given to the blog with most yummy recipes/photos".
- The receiver should also quote their favorite yummy-licious :) dessert(s) that they have ever prepared/eaten. Don't restrict yourself to any dessert, chocolate bars also welcome:).
- Also the receiver should pass on the award to four other bloggers who's blog they find "yummy" and let them know about the rules:)
A big thanks to you all for passing all these lovely awards to me...that's really encouraging for me. Congrats to all the winners.