When I was in India,my hubby always used to tell me about Lasagna and variety of other recipes he used to eat here( US ) and I used to wonder what are these recipes ,because there in India I had never heard of those names. Its that when I came to US,I got the opportunity to get acquainted with so many wonderful and tasty recipes belonging to different cuisines of he world. Each and every cuisine has its own uniqueness and aesthetics.
Five Layered Vegetable Lasagna
This is my hubby's favourite. He used to have it at Fazoli's,Italian fast food restaurant. Sometime back they stopped making veggie lasagna there.I know how much he likes Lasagna....so I thought of trying it at home for him and it turned out well. Now I make it regularly....and it gets better and better everytime. Now along with my hubby I am also a very big fan of this wonderful Italian recipe.
Check this out......An interesting description of Lasagna I came across on the net:
"With frills at the edge of her skirts, filled with fabulous fillings and topped with tasty parmigiana cheese, Lasagna is the luscious lady of the pasta world. She can have a variety of delicious fillings and toppings, both vegetarian and meat and can be topped with a wide selection of charming cheeses.Always soft and juicy on the tongue, a blend of vegetables , sweet tomato, and sharp cheeses, the memories of a wonderful lasagna last for far longer than just the moment of eating. There is something basic and essential about preparing the ingredients, constructing the dish and finally taking the masterpiece from the oven the bubbling cheese on top sending its divine aroma wafting around."
(by Margaret E. Walker)
This description of Lasagna itself is so mouth-watering,think about the actual Lasagna.So lets get started...
- 8 oz.(~ 10 in no.) Oven-ready Lasagna noodles
- Marinara sauce 1 lb. bottle or homemade
- Part skimmed Italian blend cheese 1 cup
- Part skimmed Ricotta cheese 1/4 th cup
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Chopped black olives 1 can (4.5oz)
- Chopped canned mushrooms 1 cup
- Fresh Broccoli 3/4th pound (finely chopped)
- Green ball pepper/Capsicum 1 (finely chopped)
- Spinach 10-12 leaves (stemmed and finely chopped)
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Garlic and herb seasoning blend 1 tbsp (You can use fresh herbs if you have)
- The choice of vegetable filling and cheese combination can be varied according to your choice.
- Even though I used oven ready lasagna,I prefer to boil the noodles for about 10-15 mins in water.Put 2 tsps of olive oil,to prevent them sticking together.When they become soft remove,drain and dry them with a tissue.
- Saute the vegetables in olive oil until they are cooked well. Add ricotta cheese,salt and the herb mix while cooking. Keep aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° C.
- Take a 12" x 16" baking pan or lasagna pan. Rub a little oil all over its surface.
- Spread a layer of marinara sauce in the bottom of the pan and then place 2 layers of lasagna noodles side by side.
- On top of lasagna noodles ,add a layer of 1/4th marinara sauce and 1/4th Italian cheese mix.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp herbs over the top.
- Add layer of noodles. Top each noodle with 1/4th vegetable filling and a little Italian cheese mix.
- Repeat the process once more.
- Finish with a layer of noodles, then top with remaining marinara sauce and a thick layer of Italian cheese blend.
- Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil.Bake at 400°C for 25-30 mins minutes until the cheese melts or a knife easily passes through the lasagne. Remove the foil and broil for 10 minutes, or until the top is browned. Be careful while removing the foil.
- Tasty Lasagne is now ready.
- Remove lasagna from the oven (take care while removing the pan) and let sit for 10-15 minutes.