Tip of the Day

"Use the water of boiled vegetables for gravy,doing so you get more flavour and you don't lose the nutrients which otherwise drain off with water.."

*Tomato Casserole and a Click for Bri...


Open Sesame II event at the Dining Hall designed and started by Siri and Divya is a wonderful event.Last time I missed the event...so I had decided that this time no way I am gonna miss this interesting event .I had so much fun solving the riddle.I picked the box no. 2 and got the following riddle:

I think I am a pleased woman since I blush so much
I am so soft and shiny to your delicate touch
But look what I have for relatives, so different with no common string
one used for smoking, one for hotness, one used to refer idler and one referred as veggie's King.

I am not what you refer to me most often
I am 'fruit' of labour but never called one so
I am neither a wolf nor a peach in the scale of one to ten
but then why do you think I am called one as so?

I can go green with envy, or completely red with anger
A little crown on my head makes my walk look like a swagger
You cant do without me in your day to day cooking
Tell me what veggie I am without too much thinking.


The answer is Tomato.

Without much thinking I got the answer in the first attempt itself,I am so happy about it.That was a wonderful riddle Divya.

Now its time to post a wonderful tomato recipe for this event.You can find so many recipes of tomato as its an integral part of our day to day cooking. I wanted to make a new and a different tomato dish. After much research I finally decided to make this recipe which I found tasty and healthy too.I have customized the recipe accordingly.

Tomato Casserole

Ingredients

For Sauce
  • Butter 3 tsp
  • Onion 1,cut into long slices
  • Skimmed/Low fat milk 1 small cup
  • All purpose flour 1 tbsp
  • Bread crumbs 1 cup
  • Black pepper powder 2 tsp
  • Salt to taste
For the Casserole
  • Tomatoes:
  • 3 -chopped into medium size pieces &
  • 2- cut in round slices
  • Capsicum 1/2,cut into medium size pieces.
  • Corn kernels 1/4 cup
  • Black olives,Sliced/chopped 2-3 tsp (optional)
  • Black pepper powder 1 tsp
  • Salt to taste
  • Cheese (Part skimmed milk) 2 tbsp
Method
For Sauce
  • In a small, heavy saucepan butter over low heat.

  • Saute onions till they become golden brown.

  • Blend 1 tablespoon of flour into the melted butter and add salt and black pepper powder. Cook over low heat, stirring, for 4 - 5 minutes.

  • Slowly add milk, stirring constantly and continue cooking slowly until smooth and thickened.
  • Finally add the bread crumbs and mix well.
For Casserole
  • Preheat the oven to 375° C .

  • After you finish making the sauce keep it aside and let it cool.

  • In a pan, cook tomatoes pieces(not the slices) and capsicum for 5-6 mins till they become a bit soft.

  • Take a casserole or a baking dish and layer half of the tomato capsicum mixture in the bottom.

  • Sprinkle a little crushed red pepper if you have and then add half of the sauce mixture over the tomato layer.

  • Layer remaining tomato capsicum mixture and then put the remaining sauce layer over it.
  • Sprinkle half of the cheese over it.
  • Now top with corn kernels and round tomato slices and olives (optional).

  • Bake at 400° C for 25-30 mins or till the tomatoes are tender.

  • Remove from the oven. Let it cool.
  • Garnish with remaining cheese and serve.

Serves 2-4

This recipe makes it way to the Open Sesame II event hosted by Siri and Divya.

Note : Beware of the recent Salmonella outbreak related to tomatoes.

A Click for Bri....

Click is a monthly theme-based photography contest hosted by Jugalbandi. This month’s theme is: YELLOW for Bri,Yellow being the colour of hope. Its so good to see that the target for the fundraiser has been achieved.

I thought this time I won't be able to send my entry for the Click event as this month has been very busy for me, first guests had come at my place,then I was on a vacation for a week. I was so sad but I wanted to send my entry for the event....for dear Briana. So I was checking some photos that I had taken a some time back to find something related to the event so that I could send it and I found some pics which I thought were good for the event. Thanks to my love for photography....at last I found that Click I was searching for.


This picture is my entry for JUNE edition of CLICK,the theme is YELLOW for Bri.

Dancing with joy...

Hey I found one more lovely picture,check this out......


Enjoy the Casserole and the pictures.......

21 comments:

Reyna said...

Oooh, corn and olives, that looks like a great combination... I have to try this, it looks sooo good! Thanks for the recipe!

Sunshinemom said...

Good dish! I usually top it with extra cheese as the kids love it that way!

Lore said...

Your tomato casserole looks delicious! I'm a fan of tomatoes and I usually replace the sauce in my pasta dish with just some fresh sliced tomatoes.
No Salmonella around here so there's nothing stopping me ;)

Rajitha said...

yum! gotta make this..easy recipe too..i am a sucker for easy stuff in summer you know...the heat just gets to me!

FH said...

Wonderful looking casserole. Grocery stores started storing Tomatoes again, I guess it's okay now to use them!:))

Unknown said...

Yummy looking Casserole Hetal! Thanks for such a lovely entry..:))

Hugs,
Siri

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

hi hetal
yes its interesting an i am going to try it...the tomatoe casserole !

ST said...

casserole rooks yummy and delicious.....Great click......

Anonymous said...

Yum yum for tomato casserole! It looks so delicious! Great click too!

Srikitchen said...

hey nice pics for click for yellow and good recipe for open sesame II. congrats on ur awards too

Beyond Curries said...

I have never made a casserole before. I think I can start with this one.

Reg. your YRR question, what is khaman? You can send me any wholesome non rice dish which can be had for either breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Dori said...

Wow, that looks awesome! I love tomatoes, sounds so yummy!

Andhra Flavors said...

Your tomato casserole looks delicious! such a lovely entry hetal.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Great pics! And the casserole looks fab too. :-)

Rachel said...

Wow casserole is a nice entry....I've never added onions in my white sauce...that sounds nice...The bake looks good girl!!!

Madhavi said...

Casserole looks great, nice recipe. Thanxxx for sharing!!!

I have something for u, check out my blog :)))

Kalai said...

Delicious casserole! Nice one, Hetal! :)

Srikitchen said...

u have a surprise in my blog

Swati Raman Garg said...

perfect looking cassarole fren

Aparna Inguva said...

The casserole seems so yummy hetal will give it at ry, I have a boat load of olives and fresh tomatoes cant wait to try it.
-A

Anonymous said...

We would like to feature this recipe on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)